16 November 2019

Catching Up on Scrapbooking: It's Finally 2012!

 It's been a very long time since I've worked on my chronological scrapbooking. The holiday season is always the busiest time of the year at the store where I teach, and I have been up to my ears in creating classes and making kits. But since all that is done now, I have some time to do a little catching up. YAY!

When I left off on my family scrapbooking, I had just a bit to do to finish up 2011. True confessions: I printed WAY too many pictures for that year. Consequently, I ended up with more pages than I'd anticipated for the year as a whole. Going forward, I will NOT print all of the pictures I took!

So I made a concerted effort to finish out 2011 with just a few traditional pages and lots of pocket pages with journaling or captions. It felt good to finish that year up!

Note: The typo in the above text box has since been corrected! Thanks to Bailey, the world's best proof-reader! :)


 I also printed a fair number of collages for photos I wanted to include but didn't want to take up loads of room in my album. To speed things up, I just added text digitally over the top of the photos. Done!

Say goodbye to 2011!



 On to the next year! When I opened my photo box for 2012, I could see that only a handful of photos had been printed. This is actually a VERY GOOD THING, because now I can be much more discriminating when it comes to printing. I do believe this is the first year I've encountered with almost no photos printed.

 I started by making a tabbed divider for each month of the year. I have a whole stack of these dividers that I use once, then flip over and use the back side. Getting my money's worth from these tabs!

Next I grabbed my 2012 calendar -- SO helpful when it comes to catching up on scrapbooking! I can see at a glance what the major events were for each month. There's no way I can remember everything that far back!

Finally, I opened up Picasa, the place where I have my photos organized on my desktop computer. Picasa is an old Google app which is no longer supported. I'd like to be able to recommend it but since it was replaced by Google Photos, Google no longer provides any updates or support. At some point it will probably quit working but for now, it's doing just fine.

I have my photos organized in Picasa by year-month-subject. A quick glance at 2012 indicated that they look to be in pretty good order. Now to figure out which photos to print!


Starting with January, I looked at my calendar and compared it to the digital photo folders. I found just two events that needed to be scrapbooked, so I wrote them on my tabbed card. When I finish going through the whole year, I'll choose a few photos for each of those events, upload them for printing (probably to Walgreens since it's close by), and I'll have them back in just a few hours.

At the same time, I'm creating collages in Picasa for some events I want to put in the scrapbook but don't want to spend a lot of time (or space) on. I will add text to the collages and print them at home.

My hope is that by the time the weekend is done, I'll have all the photos printed that need to go in the scrapbook and will be on my way to finishing another year. 

Will I ever catch up to the present day? I think that's a real possibility...finally!
jp




No comments: