21 April 2021

Tray Obsession

We just returned from a nice few days' visit to Texas. We allowed a couple of days for the drive home, giving us extra time to stop in some of the many, many antique shops along the way. It was cold and drizzling (even spitting snow), making for the perfect atmosphere to spend some time perusing old stuff. It's been about a year since I've spent any time at all inside an antique shop and I'll confess, I felt a little out of practice at first. But it didn't take me long to get my bearings!

 

When in antique shops, I am on the lookout for these items, in no particular order:

* milk glass
* jadeite (at a reasonable price...trust me, it's NEVER at a reasonable price in an antique store)
* metal trays
* certain kinds of glass trays
* Hull pottery
* McCoy planters (My mom collected these planters, and now I understand why she loved them. I only kept one of her planters and sold the rest...something I deeply regret now!)
* dishes to match those I already have
* anything else that speaks to me... 😉

On this trip, I happened upon a set of 9 small trays for just $4.99. These trays match two large pinecone trays I found separately awhile back. I have a particular weakness for trays, and mid-century modern trays with pinecones are even better! These little guys couldn't be cuter. They'll be perfect in a drawer or on a bedside table. I use my trays all the time when crafting, organizing, or just for display.

I'm sort of obsessed with vintage trays, but not EVERY vintage tray. I like trays with a certain look -- typically modern, retro, or mid-century style. 

I've loved trays for a very long time. In fact, back in high school I came across this small tray featuring a primitive painting of a parade in Paris on Bastille Day.  I've kept the tray all these years tucked in a drawer or on my nightstand. Wherever I've gone, this tray has gone with me.

 

Recently when our elderly neighbor lady moved to a care facility, I stopped in at her family's garage sale. And what did I see? A larger version of my beloved tray! Of course, I immediately snapped it up. 

Who knew that there were large and small trays of the same design?

If one tray is good, then two (or ten!) must be GREAT!



No comments: