17 January 2018

Kitchen Upgrades!

 It seems that having less than stellar kitchen tools runs in my family. My mom never had great equipment to work with and, since I've never felt very competent in the kitchen, I haven't invested in the best tools for myself. But I'm slowly trying to change that, having purchased an immersion blender and even a meat pounder recently. Now I don't have to flatten chicken with my magnetic craft hammer! (NOT KIDDING)

Awhile back, I decided I was tired of using the same silverware we've used since we got married many moons ago. I've never liked it and frankly I'm not even sure where it came from. My guess is that I earned it by purchasing groceries back when I was still living with my parents after college. (I earned an entire set of {ugly} china in that same way!) 

So I'd been looking for new silverware with a cleaner, simpler design and eventually found a set at Target. As it worked out, our daughter purchased it for me (us) for Christmas. I recently washed it all and put it into use and all I can say is WOW! It's a real treat to actually like the silverware you're using. Spouse requested service for 12 (!!) so now we never run out of any utensil!
 As if that's not exciting enough, Bailey gave me the most beautiful pan for my birthday! This is one of those really fancy pans that can go from stove top into the oven to finish whatever you're cooking. Now you must understand that this is a really big deal for me! My pans are in various stages of disrepair, and I have to tighten the handles to keep them from falling off. I've certainly never had a pan that could go from stove top to oven. There are recipes I have not been able to try because I didn't have the proper pan. It's like a whole new world!

I recently tried out the pan using Bailey's favorite chicken recipe. You coat the chicken in a dry rub mixture of spices, then brown it on both sides.
 

After browning, you pop it into the oven to finish cooking. Awhile back, Bailey also gave me a fancy instant-read thermometer so I could check to be sure the chicken was completely done. It was delicious! It's amazing what even I could do with this beautiful pan!
Thanks to Dear Daughter, I'm excited to have some wonderful new kitchen upgrades. With luck, this will mean more culinary success in the new year, and that's something EVERYONE can get excited about!
jp





No comments: