10 April 2020

Feline Friday: Brownie Bandit

Gentle readers, a crime was recently committed in our kitchen. I left a pan of brownies on the counter (I know...a rookie mistake) and overnight, while we slept, a certain 4-legged suspect quietly hopped up onto the counter and broke into the brownie pan.

I present, for your consideration, the evidence. 

Upon entering the kitchen to make the morning coffee, I noticed that the aluminum foil on the brownie pan was askew. A trail of brownie crumbs led to the edge of the counter.


  Closer inspection revealed multiple distinct bite marks, consistent with the front pointy teeth of a certain gray kitty who lives in this house and considers all food (especially baked goods) fair game. 


  I had no choice but to lift off the aluminum foil and inspect the damage. Even after witnessing a number of baked goods break-ins over the years, I'll admit that I was still somewhat shocked to see that the entire edge of one brownie had been licked smooth. Even the pan itself had been licked.

  
Noting the elements of the crime scene, I turned my attention to locating my chief suspect. Fortunately, I didn't have to travel far, as she was readily located at her feeding station, eagerly waiting for her breakfast to be served. I inspected our suspect thoroughly and found her to be in fine (if not a bit plump) shape and showing no ill effects of her crime. She gobbled her breakfast and settled into her fuzzy basket for her morning nap, obviously not feeling the least bit guilty.

As you probably know, there is danger anytime a cat (and especially a dog) ingests chocolate. The chemical compounds in chocolate can be toxic. It was Saturday morning and luckily our vet was open to take my anxious call. The staff asked a number of questions and relayed my answers quickly to the vet who concluded that, given the amount of brownie our suspect ingested, she was going to be just fine. We dutifully kept an eye on her for the rest of the day, which wasn't all that hard because she spent most of the day like this:


From now on, any baked goods shall be stored in the microwave, well beyond the reach of our sweet suspect. 

CASE CLOSED!
😻
 






No comments: