06 May 2019

Catching Up on Scrapbooking: Moving Right Along!

May 4 was National Scrapbook Day (yes, an official holiday for us scrapbookers!) so in honor of that, I decided to set aside the entire day to try to finish up my 2010 albums. Although some scrapbooking trickled over into the next day, I'm happy to report that 2010 is now officially in the books...only nine years after the fact! 😃
  

 2010 was definitely the busiest year we've had (and probably will EVER have), as that was the year our daughter graduated from high school and started college out of state. So I had a TON of scrapbooking to do for that year -- and as a result, I ended up with WAY more albums for that year than for any other year. From 2010 on, I will have far fewer photos to scrapbook, which is kind of sad...but kind of good, too!

When I sat down to assess the 2010 Scrapbooking Situation, I felt fortunate. I had scrapbooked most of the major events in time for her high school graduation, so finishing up this year wasn't as daunting as it MIGHT have been. The most challenging part of the process was actually the HUGE stack of memorabilia I'd saved from the year, which needed to be assessed and put into the albums. I didn't take a picture of all of it but trust me, it was awful.
 

I certainly didn't keep all of it but of course, I saved the important things. Most pieces could just be slipped into sleeves. I found that small programs fit really nicely into 6x12 page protectors with the top cut off. (A couple of manufacturers still make a sleeve that fits this size of program, but the holes don't always align with 12x12 binder rings.)
 

Of course, I unearthed a lot of college-related memorabilia for this year. The good news is that with the passage of time, I could more easily sort through it and assess what to keep. This magazine had some great pictures of our favorite dining spots in Bloomington so I kept just those pages instead of the whole thing.

 We had saved the name tag from Bailey's dorm room door, so into the album it went along with her official freshman year address.

I had also saved a 12x12 calendar with beautiful photos from around campus with hopes of including some pages in the scrapbook. I selected the pages with buildings or places Bailey frequented and just slipped them into blank spaces in the album.

It actually worked out perfectly, as I was able to use calendar pages that matched the seasons in the album, and I still have a few left for subsequent years!
 
 

In addition to dealing with the memorabilia, I had a bit of scrapbooking to finish up. I added in a few photos (often including me) that I'd for some reason left in the box. This is a good time to remind my fellow scrapbookers: Be sure to include YOURSELF in your albums, even if you were having a bad hair day in the picture! 😉

I've also been skipping over almost all cat photos as I try to catch up on HUMAN scrapbooking. At some point, I'll go back and finish up my kitty albums but not until all other scrapbooking is under control! This quick page was an exception.  I just love how Lily is draped around Bailey as she reads the newspaper!

I hadn't done any fair pages for 2010, so I quickly made a few and relied on pocket pages for the rest. We took our daughter to college during the fair so we didn't spend as much time there that year, hence I had far fewer photos to scrapbook. To consolidate, I added a few lift-up pieces as shown below. By doing this, you can fit at least three pictures into the space of one. I added pockets for pull-out programs and other memorabilia.


When I ran across my chicken washing photos, I had to smile. This is one of the best kept secrets at the Iowa State Fair! At this event, fair-goers can watch a chicken washing demo and even help with blow-drying afterwards. It is typically held on the first Saturday or Sunday morning of the fair so if you're local, watch for it on the schedule!

 I hadn't scrapbooked our Christmas photos for that year (why did I always skip holidays?) so I made traditional pages for a few photos and used pockets for the rest.
 

I had also skipped over all of my garden photos, so I decided to consolidate a summer's worth of photos into a collage. I wrote a bit about the highlights of my 2010 gardening efforts and called it good.
 Now that 2010 scrapbooking is done (YAY!), I plan to continue on through Bailey's college graduation in 2015. I haven't printed many photos for those years, which is actually a good thing because I can be more selective about which photos I want to use.

In addition to continuing my chronological albums, I need to get back to working on my heritage scrapbooks. I am also organizing stuff to work on an album for the year I lived in Paris during college. I'm really looking forward to starting that big project.

In short, there's much to do and no time to waste! These photos aren't going to scrapbook themselves! 😉
jp

No comments: