04 December 2008

Kitchen Tree

Many years ago, I planned to have a decorated tree in every room, but somehow I stopped with six trees. Sometimes six trees seems to be plenty, but when I see how many ornaments I have accumulated, I occasionally think I should pick up a few more small trees. Although you can buy them inexpensively during after-Christmas sales, they take a lot of room to store and a LOT of time to put up and take down every year. So I have mixed emotions about the "tree in every room" concept (especially with Lily in the house)!

This year, I'm donating my table-top tree (I'll eventually replace it with another small one) so I'm down to five trees. I sometimes vary the location of the trees, occasionally putting a medium-sized tree in the kitchen. This year, I put a smaller "pencil tree" in the kitchen as it takes less space and works with the theme I had in mind.

This year's kitchen tree has sort of a folk-art theme. I started out with some very old red apples and heart ornaments, then I added a few cookie cutters. Finally, I added set of Cosmo Cricket ornaments I made last year. The nice thing about having a lot of ornaments is that it's easy to make a "themed" tree without buying anything new. I just mix and match using what I have.

If you look closely, you'll see that this tree is tied to the window with fishing line. So far, it is still intact! :-)

8 comments:

toners said...

LOL!! What a great idea to have trees throughout the house! We just have one up, and the living room is so much more cozy-looking than everywhere else at this time of year :)

Sarah Coggins said...

What a beautiful tree! I love the idea of themed trees. :) LOL about the fishing line. Hope Lily leaves at least one tree standing for you!

Heather said...

I love your little tree! I would love to do this too but it would require too much ambition and toddler proofing! I'm lucky to get one tree to survive! Owen does have his own little tinsel tree that he totes around the house though!

Kristina said...

I'm with you, Janet. I used to do a tree with each bedroom, one in the family room and one in the den, but it became too much work, so now it's just the family room and a two small tabletop trees in the kitchen. Your kitchen tree looks lovely!

Raquel said...

Love the kitchen tree! We have 2 so far. The main one in the front room and one in DS's room.

Darcey said...

I love the all of the trees up in a house. However, it does take a long time to set them all up. Hope Lilly stays out off the trees!

Maureen said...

Har! I use fishing line to hold up our tree too... tethered to the ceiling/wall. I also use it to reinforce the bottom branches as our youngest cat has taken to sleeping IN it.

Cheri said...

I'd love to have more trees, but really only if I was fabulously wealthy and could hire them put up and taken down;)

Remember, I'm a finished result kind of gal when it comes to decorating!

I love the Cosmo Cricket ornaments mixed with the cookie cutters. You've done a great themed tree!