10 June 2022

Feline Friday

 


My dear grandma passed away in 2004. She was a master seamstress, having honed her skills in upholstery and fur coat factories. It was hard work but as a single mother she had no other way to support her family.

In addition to making her own dresses, Grandma enjoyed making stuffed animals (with their own wardrobes!) and cat toys. Even though Grandma left us long before Lily was born, Lily loves to play with the stuffed turtle she made for my kitties. Tinsel was partial to Grandma's catnip-filled green satin snake -- which is strangely STILL lost somewhere in this house!

When I cleaned out my parents' house back in 2013, I found this cat bed up in the top of the garage, clearly made by my grandma. I am almost positive I have a picture of her wearing a dress made from the same fabric! It was dusty and dirty from years at the bottom of a basket of odds and ends. But I tossed it in the washer and sure enough, it cleaned up beautifully.

I'm certain the cat bed was made to fit within the confines of a basket, although I'm not positive which one and of course, the basket is long gone.

The cat bed has been at our house for quite some time but Lily has only recently decided that she absolutely loves it. It does my heart good to see my grandma's handiwork making her so happy.

And I know Grandma would be thrilled that her handmade treasures are being loved by a new generation of kitties!

No comments: