07 August 2020

Feline Friday

I'm pleased to report that Lily is finally doing GREAT following her surgery! Next week, it will be one month since the procedure. I'd say it has taken a solid 2.5-3 weeks for her to get back to normal. That's not bad for a 14 year old kitty!

 

I'll be honest, when she went through a couple of weeks of constipation after the operation, I was worried. I wondered if I had made the right decision in choosing the surgery, which I knew came with risks of chronic incontinence or constipation. I worried that the constipation she was experiencing was the result of the surgery and not just a temporary situation.

Thank goodness it turned out to be temporary and she is doing great now. It just took awhile for the anethesia and pain killer side effects to work their way out of her system. I can tell by her activity level that her little bottom is feeling SO MUCH BETTER. Those anal glands must have been terribly painful for her. I'm so glad we will no longer have to run to the vet every few week to to have them expressed.

Funny: We brought this old rug home from Texas when my daughter no longer needed it. It belonged to my mom and even spent a summer with Bailey when she was a camp counselor in Michigan. Lily has completely fallen in love with it since her surgery. I've washed it several times and she keeps returning to it. This is a terrible place for an old white rug but since she's enjoying it there, I'll allow it! LOL

 

In the past few days, she's been jumping, looking out the window, and playing much more actively than she was before the procedure. Before the operation, I noticed that she would walk a little bit and sit down...walk and sit down. Now she's trotting all around, free from pain. It is just so gratifying to see.


Even though she's in her golden years, I feel strongly that Lily deserves to have the best quality of life possible. Our vet didn't hestitate to perform the procedure on a kitty of her age, knowing that it would make her so much more comfortable. Although the recovery was a bit more stressful than I expected it to be (for both of us), I'm so pleased that she has ended up in a much better place!






No comments: