30 May 2018

TLC for the Grill/Garden Cart

 After a couple of summers in the intense patio heat, the "grill cart turned garden cart" was in need of some TLC this spring. The paint had chipped and the galvanized elements had not weathered well.

It took a bit of effort but, thanks to Spouse, the gray paint now looks much better. I spray painted the black elements again to touch them up and they now look fresher.

I found some galvanized tin-like spray paint and gave the birds a new coat. (Strangely, they had turned a chalky tan color in the sun.) While they're a little brighter than they were originally, I'm happy with how they turned out!
 

But the little buckets were in sorry shape, almost rusted through. Honestly, I don't think they were meant for outdoor use. OOPS!

I managed to scrape off some of the rust and tried spray painting one of them. It sort of worked but the buckets themselves were so worn that I decided to replace them. 
Luckily, I found the exact size online and, while they have a shiny instead of dull finish, they're much sturdier than the original buckets. They even have liners which will help protect the metal.

Once all the touch-ups were done, I loaded up the refurbished grill cart with a few herbs and flowers and we are off and running for another season!
 jp



1 comment:

Kimberly Marie said...

I really LOVE what you did here, and I think it would be a great idea to tuck away for myself to use at some point down the road. I love how the finished product looks!