05 February 2021

Feline Friday

 Lately, Lily has taken a liking to this old white rug which belonged to my mom. This rug, which has been bleached white from its original light blue, is very well traveled. After I cleaned out my parents' house, the rug came home with me. It went from Iowa to college in Indiana with Bailey, spent two summers collecting sand from feet in a Michigan cabin, traveled back to Indiana, and finally went on to Texas in the back of a moving truck. 


When we visited Texas in June, Bailey sent home a pile of things she no longer needed including Mom's old white rug. At the time, I didn't have use for it but since it had belonged to my mom, I thought I'd keep it around somewhere. 
 
Well, the rug barely made it indoors before Lily commandeered it for herself. She is crazy about the rug. And it has served her well. It was a cozy place to rest while she recovered from her surgery this past summer. And it holds up nicely to daily claw sharpening and bunny kicks. It's perfect for napping within view of the automatic feeder. They just don't make rugs like this nowadays.

 When I decided to look for a kitten 14 years ago, Mom was my partner in crime. The two of us went to the vet clinic to meet Lily and knew immediately that I had to bring her home with us. 
 
So maybe Lily somehow knows that this rug belonged to my mom. Maybe it feels familiar and comforting to her and reminds her of her own kitty mom. 
 
Do we need the rug? Does it fit our decor? No. 
 
But truth be told, it's comforting to me, too.


1 comment:

Kimberly Marie said...

Wow! If that rug could talk! Lol. It really has a lot of history! But it sure does look warm and comfortable. :) So glad it brings you both comfort. Sometimes that’s the most important thing! I’m so glad to see that Lily is doing and feeling amazingly better since the surgery! Take care ~