02 August 2018

"Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story?"

In July, the long-awaited, much anticipated national touring Hamilton production came to town. I had bought tickets back in December, knowing that we really SHOULD see it but not really understanding what an amazing show it would be. I wondered if it would really live up to the hype and accolades. 

I knew the lyrics contained the story, so I started listening to the soundtrack in January and from the very first listen, I was completely drawn in. I spend a lot of time working on class stuff in my craft room, and the Hamilton soundtrack has become the soundtrack to much of it. 

  I find it helpful to read a plot summary and listen to a soundtrack before seeing any musical, but it's even more important with Hamilton. A few of the numbers are rapped, or at least spoken very quickly, so it's useful to understand the lyrics before you go. In Hamilton, the story is advanced entirely through music, so if you don't understand the words, you're bound to lose details.

Knowing the soundtrack so well, I was actually a little nervous about seeing the show, wondering if it would hold up to my expectations. And of course, the live show blew me away. The actors are not required, nor do they necessarily try, to stay true to the original soundtrack, and I loved the nuanced performances of now-familiar songs.

The first time Spouse and I saw the show, the actor playing Hamilton was not the principal but he did an amazing job. The next time I went, the principal actor playing Hamilton was on and to my amazement, he somehow had the effect of elevating the production that much more with his nuanced portrayal of the main character.
 
The second time, I went alone (found a great deal on a single ticket!) and was seated just 4 rows back from the stage. If you're ever able to do so, I highly recommend seeing a show very close just once. My daughter and I once saw Phantom even closer than this. It brings a completely different perspective when you can see facial expressions, costume details, and even activity in the wings.
 

I am so glad I went a second time as I was able to take in even more of this incredible performance. It was fun to see how a slightly different mix of actors brought their own talents to the production.

 I learned that the cast does a stage door autograph signing immediately after the show so I decided to check it out, just to see what the cast looks like out of costume. When they first started coming out of the stage door, I didn't recognize them. They look like "regular people" -- which of course, they are! They were all very gracious to the crowd, taking time for pictures and autographs.
 

 I have been fortunate to see a lot of Broadway/touring shows, some more than once, because our local Civic Center does a great job of bringing them to town. My expectations are high, and I was ready to compare the show with Wicked, The Lion King, and my all-time favorite, Phantom of the Opera. But Hamilton truly blew them all away (did you catch the Hamilton reference there?). It's an expensive show to see, but it's worth every penny and then some. And the next chance I have to see it, you can be sure I'll be going!
 
I have heard a few people say they aren't interested in seeing this show because "so much" of it is rapped. That's actually not true, and I think you'd be surprised at how the show actually brings out the humanity of our nation's founders. Lin Manuel Miranda's show portrays the messy nature of how our country was built and the degree to which our founders tried to get it right -- so they could leave a legacy to their own children. And he makes the story accessible by telling it in modern-day language with actors who reflect the diversity of America today.

One of the central themes of the show is this: "Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?"  From the first time I listened to Hamilton, I was drawn in to this theme. Hamilton has a sense of urgency in all he does, working non-stop because he fears he won't have enough time to accomplish his goals in life. And sadly, this turns out to be true. Eliza, his wife, becomes the one who ultimately keeps his legacy alive and tells his story.
 

As an avid scrapbooker/memory-keeper (and now researcher of my family history), the notion of "telling your story" completely resonates with me. It's the reason why I'm spending so much time trying to put together the pieces of my childhood. It's why I'm interested in those who came before me -- they're part of my story, too. And it's why I am focused on leaving completed scrapbooks and stories -- OUR stories -- to our daughter. 

Thanks to Hamilton, I'm more determined than ever to make that happen. 
jp 

P.S. Have you seen Hamilton? What did you think? Which themes resonated with you?







No comments: